Neurosurgery abroad is one of the most complex specializations in medicine, requiring great knowledge and experience. In many leading clinics of the world, this is a priority. Medical centers invite the best doctors, purchase advanced equipment, and conduct scientific research to improve treatment methods. In general, neurosurgery abroad is at a higher level than in the countries of Central Asia and Eastern Europe
Directions of Neurosurgery Abroad
A neurosurgeon diagnoses and performs surgical treatment of diseases of the brain and spinal cord, central and peripheral nervous system. Particular attention is paid to diseases caused by neoplasms, injuries, or congenital anomalies. Most often, the patient turns to a neurosurgeon when conservative methods of therapy do not improve the condition.
Neurosurgery abroad is a high-level surgical treatment of a wide range of diseases:
- Parkinson’s disease;
- tumors of the brain and spine;
- traumatic brain injury;
- intervertebral hernia and compression fractures of the spine;
- congenital and acquired diseases of the nervous system and other pathologies.
Neurosurgery abroad is represented by separate areas:
vascular, stereotaxic, oncological, traumatological, pediatric, and so on.
For an accurate diagnosis, patients undergo 3-Tesla MRI, 3D-CT, PET-CT, fluorescent diagnostics, digital angiography, and dopplerography using the latest generation devices. The treatment scheme is determined by a multidisciplinary commission, which includes specialists from different fields.
Foreign doctors prefer minimally invasive methods of surgical treatment, in particular endoscopic (through small punctures up to 5-6 cm) and transnasal (through the nose). Neurosurgery abroad is characterized by a minimal risk of complications and rapid recovery of patients.
Neurosurgery abroad is distinguished by high-precision modern equipment and advanced techniques.
Specialists in the best neurosurgery clinics use:
- Neuronavigation, which determines the exact location of the tumor in 3D, which helps the surgeon to perform the intervention with millimeter accuracy.
- Deep brain stimulation is a surgical implantation of special electrodes in those parts of the brain that cause the disease. In 70% of patients with Parkinson’s disease, epilepsy, the state is stabilized after the procedure.
- Radiosurgery with the help of Gamma and CyberKnife is designed for the non-surgical treatment of inoperable tumors in hard-to-reach places and in complex therapy. For example, in the brain.
- The CUSA method is designed for the accurate removal of the tumor by ultrasound. It is one of the safest methods.
- Disc-FX technology is a combined operation on the intervertebral discs, which combines several methods of spinal surgery. This is a sparing procedure that allows 95% of patients to get rid of back pain, numbness of the limbs, and other consequences of a herniated disc.
- Fluorescent navigation is applied for highlighting the tumor with a special substance, which gives the doctor the opportunity to determine its size and remove it as accurately as possible.
- Intraoperative MRI is used to display in real time the progress of the operation.
- Awake craniotomy. This allows the surgeon to continuously monitor the patient’s brain functions, by minimizing the risk of damage to vital parts.
- Robotic minimally invasive operations are used for precise and gentle surgical interventions. For example, for resection in epilepsy, plaque removal in atherosclerosis, restoration of blood flow in the brain, and aneurysm treatment.
- Neurophysiological and electrophysiological monitoring is used for continuous monitoring during surgery of the functional state of the nervous system in order to prevent damage to it.
The best neurosurgery in the world takes place in modern operating rooms equipped with laminar ventilation and HEPA filters for air purification.
The best neurosurgery clinics in the world
Most of the best neurosurgery clinics, which record the highest results, are located in Germany, Israel, Spain, Turkey, and South Korea.
- Germany. German physicians at university clinics in Düsseldorf, Cologne, and Leipzig hold the record for the number of neurosurgical interventions and the development of new techniques. Considered by many to be the world’s best neurosurgical clinic, Charite Hospital performs over 5,000 procedures annually. The hospital features departments of spinal surgery, tumor treatment, etc. German doctors successfully treat children, in particular, severe forms of epilepsy. The most effective procedure is the removal of the epileptoid zone of the brain in a minimally invasive way. At the same time, the rest of the brain compensates for other functions. After surgery, seizures disappear in 80% of children, and the quality of life improves.
- Turkey. Patients choose treatment in Turkish clinics because of the excellent value for money. The best neurosurgery clinic Liv Hospital in Istanbul shows excellent results in the treatment of pathologies of the brain and spinal cord. The number of successful operations in the hospital is 10% higher than the national average. The center features a navigation system for microsurgical interventions, new operating microscopes, etc. Patients also choose Memorial, Medicana, Anadolu, and other clinics.
- Israel. The medical centers of the country are known all over the world for their success in the treatment of oncopathologies, including brain cancer. More than 2,700 patients with various injuries and diseases of the nervous system are operated at Ichilov Hospital annually. The hospital has a platform based on artificial intelligence and computer vision. It allows recording and analyze procedures, which makes it possible to improve the skills of surgeons. Also, there are good results in the clinics of Assuta, Beilinson, Rambam, Hadassah, and others. It is one of the best neurosurgeries in the world.
- South Korea. Specialists of Korean centers actively practice robotic surgery. The Severance Clinic is recognized as the best center for deep brain stimulation in the treatment of epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease – 200 operations annually. The hospital is also a leader in surgery for neoplasms of the brain and spinal cord. Doctors of the Samsung clinic also have high rates. 95% of operations in clinics in South Korea are successful, which allows us to consider them among the best neurosurgeries in the world.
- Spain. The best neurosurgery clinic in the country is Teknon University Hospital. Here one of the first began to carry out minimally invasive operations on the brain, and also introduced the method of fluorescent neuronavigation. The best neurosurgery clinic for children is the Sant Joan de Deu Hospital.
You can read real patient reviews about treatment abroad on the Experts Medical website. You can get more detailed information about neurosurgery abroad by phone from coordinators-doctors.
Neurosurgery abroad: the best neurosurgeons in the world
The best neurosurgeons in the world have vast experience in the treatment of pathologies of the brain and spinal cord. According to patients, it is worth highlighting:
- Zvi Rama, Israeli neurosurgeon and neurooncologist practicing at Assuta Clinic. Many experts believe that he is the best neurosurgeon in the world. He owns unique methods at the highest level for performing the most complex procedures such as endoscopic removal of neoplasms of the brain and spinal cord, craniotomy in the mind, surgical treatment of epilepsy, and others. It develops new technologies for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
- Ali Tsircha, a leading physician at the Medipol University Hospital in Istanbul. It is listed in the Guinness Book of Records for the number of deep brain stimulation surgeries with over 1,000 successful DBS procedures.
- Shlomi Constantini, head of the pediatric department at the Ichilov Medical Center in Tel Aviv. He has extensive experience in surgery for congenital malformations. Author of scientific papers. He is a world-renowned pediatric neurosurgeon.
- Bartolome Olivera, Chief Neurosurgeon of the Spanish Teknon Medical Center. Specialization of the doctor is a neurooncologist, spinal neurosurgeon, and pediatric neurosurgeon. He is a world expert in microsurgery of the skull and spine.
- Kim Sung Ho, professor and senior neurosurgeon at Severance Hospital in Seoul. He specializes in surgery for pituitary tumors. He made a huge contribution to the development of innovative technologies for the treatment of ischemic cerebrovascular surgery.
- Peter Vaikotsi, professor and director of the center at Charite Clinic (Scharite) in Berlin. The doctor’s specialization is brain microsurgery, spinal surgery, treatment of skull base tumors, and vascular diseases of the central nervous system. Every year he performs 800 complex interventions.
When choosing a doctor, it is advisable to pay attention to his experience, the number of successful operations, and read real patient reviews. Detailed information about leading foreign doctors is available on the Experts Medical website, as well as from coordinators-doctors by phone.
Neurosurgery abroad: the cost of treatment
The cost of surgery in foreign hospitals depends on many factors:
- type of disease;
- methods of treatment;
- prices of the clinic: they largely depend on the devices on which diagnostics and treatment are performed, the level of comfort;
- surgeon’s qualifications: services of an experienced doctor with a scientific degree are much more expensive than the usual ones;
- the country in which the clinic is located: the price of an operation in Turkey will be lower than in Germany, Israel, Spain, and South Korea.
Removal of a herniated disc in Turkey costs an average of $9,000, in South Korea – $10,000, in Germany – €17,000. The average cost of removing a brain tumor in Turkey is $15,000, in Germany – €25,000.
A consultation with a neurosurgeon will cost from $300 in Turkey, $100 in South Korea, €400 in Spain, and €600 in Germany. An MRI on the latest generation machines in Turkey costs on average from $350, in Israel and South Korea from $800.
Neurosurgery abroad: how to go?
The best neurosurgery in the world requires the use of appropriate equipment, which is not available in many CIS countries. Therefore, a good choice is a neurosurgery abroad. You can find out about the conditions for entering a particular country on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You will definitely need a passport.
In order not to waste time and quickly receive medical assistance, it is better to immediately call Experts Medical coordinators-doctors. As soon as possible, they will help choose the best neurosurgery clinic in the world, and the attending physician, with whom they will organize an online consultation. Experts Medical provides services for the preparation of medical documents, booking air tickets, hotel rooms, and transfers.
The material was checked and approved by Erica Igonina, a medical author at Experts Medical.