Little Anya arrived for examination in serious condition and without any diagnosis. The treatment gives results. Lena’s mother talks about this the video review.
I took my son who suffers from rhabdomyosarcoma to Dr. Leibovich, who works in the children’s department of the Meir Clinic. I sincerely recommend this clinic to everybody who is diagnosed with oncology. Everything here is organized at the highest level, thoughtfully, conveniently. Diagnostic and treatment technologies are simply cosmic, excellent staff. Now it’s over the hill. I am infinitely happy about it.
My nephew was being treated in Yeditep when he was diagnosed with rhabdomyosarcoma in the neck. The examination was carried out by qualified oncologists. They made the correct diagnosis. Therapy was started promptly. Now the tumor is not detected on MRI. We really hope that there will be no relapse.
When my wife was diagnosed with cancer, life seemed to be divided into before and after. None of the relatives had oncology before, so we, frankly, were confused. It was scary both from the attitude of our doctors and from the endless expectations of the next examination, the next consultation. We began to look for options for using modern technologies in the treatment of cancer in foreign clinics. Memorial made an indelible impression on us: interiors, spacious comfortable rooms, staff ready to help at any moment. Doctors are professional and knowledgeable. The examination began on the very first day after we arrived in Istanbul. My wife was quickly operated on and had radiation therapy. We are now on the road to recovery.
My son’s life was saved in San Juan de Deu. In Ukraine, we were given the wrong diagnosis. I was tormented by doubts, so I took my son to Turkey. Everything in the clinic is well organized, all doctors are competent. I didn’t like everything in terms of communication with the staff, but I don’t find fault, because they examined me quickly and prescribed the treatment correctly.
Doctor-consultant will answer all your questions about the cost of treatment, the choice of a doctor and fully organize treatment abroad.
Member of the Board of the Medical Faculty of the University of Kocaeli.
Membership in associations:
International Society of Pediatric Oncology
Turkish Foundation for Cancer and War Research
Turkish Pediatric Oncology Group
International Society of Pediatric Oncology (SIOP);
Turkish Pediatric Oncology Group (TPOG);
Pediatric Oncology East and Mediterranean (POEM);
Turkish Medical Association (TTB).
Rhabdomyosarcoma is a malignant tumor that develops from striated muscle cells or embryonic rudiments of muscle tissue. It is diagnosed mainly in children of the first decade of life, more often in boys. The prognosis for life and recovery, subject to the appointment of adequate treatment, is 30-80%.
The malignant neoplasm grows rapidly and metastasizes relatively early. The effectiveness of treatment is determined by a number of factors:
● Tumor morphology. With alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma, the prognosis is worse than with its embryonic variant.
● Site localization. Parameningeal localization of the tumor is considered unfavorable (nasal cavity, paranasal sinuses, nasopharynx, middle ear).
● Stage of oncological disease. A small tumor that does not have metastases is cured in 80% of cases. Single metastases reduce the chances of recovery up to 30%.
The location of the node determines the local symptoms. A volumetric formation in the orbit leads to exophthalmos (protrusion of the eyeball outward), in the oral cavity to a violation of diction and swallowing, in the bladder to a gradual violation (difficulty) of urination. Common symptoms include an increase in regional lymph nodes, weakness, fatigue, unmotivated weight loss up to the development of cachexia.
Tumor nodes are visualized during ultrasound, computed or magnetic resonance imaging.
In order to determine the type of neoplasm detected, the following is performed:
● Histological examination of tissue fragments obtained during an open biopsy.
● Molecular genetic studies aimed at identifying certain genes responsible for the development of certain types of rhabdomyosarcoma. For example, for the differential diagnosis of alveolar and embryonic tumors, the FOXO1 gene RNA test is performed.
Complex treatment of rhabdomyosarcoma includes:
● Surgical removal of neoplasm. It is usually the first and main stage of treatment.
● Chemotherapy. It can be prescribed both before surgery to reduce the size of the tumor, and after removal of the node to prevent recurrence and suppress the growth of metastases.
● Radiation therapy. In the treatment of rhabdomyosarcomas, brachytherapy, contact radiation therapy, when a source of radiation is introduced into the body, is actively used. The accuracy of exposure in brachytherapy is provided by computer treatment planning and systems for visual adjustment of source delivery.
● Autologous bone marrow transplant. In patients with a high risk of relapse at the stage of remission, bone marrow is taken, which is preserved for some time (frozen at liquid nitrogen temperature). During high-dose chemotherapy, tumor cells are destroyed, which can persist in the lymph nodes and other tissues of the body. In this case, the patient’s red bone marrow also dies. After the completion of chemotherapy, the patient is transplanted with a pre-preserved bone marrow. The procedure is very difficult for a person, it requires good technical equipment of the clinic and experienced staff.
An obvious advantage of treating cancer abroad is access to high-tech , innovative methods of diagnostics and therapy, which will appear at the disposal of domestic doctors (if they appear) only in 10-15 years. And the point here is not only the availability of equipment, but also the need for the accumulation of certain experience by specialists.
Experts Medical sends its patients only to trusted medical centers. As for rhabdomyosarcoma, here in the TOP-3 we placed the Ichilov Clinic (Tel Aviv, Israel), which is a leading medical center in the field of oncology, the Shishli Memorial Clinic (Istanbul, Turkey), the high competence of Memorial doctors in the treatment of rhabdomyosarcoma was proved by the results of treatment of our patients, as well as the Sant Joan de Deu Clinic, which is a recognized world center for the treatment of rhabdomyosarcoma in children.